Friday, January 7, 2011

Journal 1 - Topic Ideas

My desire to take a more hands on apporach to geography is the reason this field study adventure began, and my struggle to nail down a particular research question has surprisingly helped me realize that desire.

I want a research topic that deals with Geography and fits into the Ghanaan experience I'm going have so the last few days I've spent a couple hours developing and discussing my ideas with three professors. The conversation with them has helped me decide on some direction in three areas--migration or population changes because of humanitarian efforts, Ashanti and Colonial Influences on Wiamoase's Local Government, and Muslim, Christian, and Anamist interaction in Wiamoase and Ashanti region.

While I talked to my professors, I realized that asking these questions was helping me explore and consider geographic concepts better than I ever have before. This hands on experience is teaching me how to do research in the field of geography, helping me think deeper about geography, and get to know by professors in a different way as I talk with them as for their advise. This realization of what i'm already learning has given me a small dose of what I'll have learned when I'm completed the field study.

I am really grateful for the help and advise that these professors gave me, the viability they confirmed in each topic, and the thought of studying any of these things. However my lingering concern is two-fold: the topics are broad and difficult to decide between--making me wish I knew more about the Ghanaan community I'm going to-- and I only have until Wednesday to narrow things to one topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment