Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journal 5 - Considering Methodology and Culture Shock

I thought I'd take some time today to write about what I learned from doing that Super-quick Document Analysis today. I analyzed articles about Development views in a community and clinic policies, respectively. Each had to do with what I want to study in Wiamoase.

The first study was conducted in a Mayan community in Guatemala, where a young man interviewed people from different social strata on how they would view effective development in their own lives. As I read this article I wondered what kind of answers people in my neighborhood would give if asked the same questions - how would they seek to improve their own personal development? How would those answers differ according to age, family background, and religious involvement? How would people answer if the question was focused on what they would like to personally develop to improve the future for their children? I think their answers would sometimes concern education, some would probably involve less serious answers, some would involve making changes in government. If I was to conduct interviews like this man in Wiamoase, how could I focus my questions on development as opposed to answers about making changes in local government? I wish the study had included some of the questions he'd asked and what questions he found most effective.

As for the second study, I didn't find it as helpful in terms of methods because I felt like she lacked those in her study. She didn't really use any sources that supported or gave a context to her subject and it helped me realize the importance of paying attention to what we are going to discuss today in class. I want to get a better handle on the history of my community and clinic foundation, as well on sustainable development efforts before class to help me prepare and develop my project proposal.

After skimming and answering the questions for the assignment, I went back and read the first part of the paper where the girl discussed the feelings she had upon first arriving in India at the hospital she was going to study with. I found her thoughts and description of what the adjustment was like refreshingly open and insightful. She described how it felt to enter a community where she couldn't communicate, how alone and frustrated she felt when she couldn't conduct her study the way she'd wanted to, and she described feeling out of place and different than the people around her. I appreciated hearing those stories, even though it made me nervous for the first little while in the community, I'm not learning Twi very well and I don't feel like I know how to barter or haggle for rent. Her description made me wonder what would be most frustrating to me and how I can best prepare for that... Perhaps I should devote an three hours a week just to things that will help me adjust to the culture of Wiamoase instead of just focusing my efforts on what I'll research and how.

No comments:

Post a Comment