Monday, January 24, 2011

Journal 7 - Culture Thoughts

1. People in Ghana class. Since I first sat down in my twi class, which is half Ghanaian students and makes for unfamiliar and explorable relationships, I've felt a curiosity about the subtle differences I could sense but not pin-point between myself and these other students. I am curious about how they see me, what influences that perception, and how that will improve or change with time. Will I ever really understand the subtleties of their culture? How can I better improve my behavior to invite openness from them and an opportunity for learning?

Culture from reading. This article was interesting because as I read through it I noticed that the biggest barrier to understanding the dos and don'ts of a culture is language. There are undertones that no matter how hard I try, I probably won't understand after 90 days in the field. How can I overcome that barrier for the sake of my study? I am doing something completely foreign to the rest of my experiences (like on my mission) and I don't know if two transfers would be enough time for me to learn even a part of what I need to.

Twi money differences. A difference I learned about on Wednesday that's been on my mind was the differences in money mentalities in Ghana and the US. Millie explained about how Ghanaians see a thousand dollars in the bank as a selfish excess. I'd never thought about that before, but I appreciated the explanation and already I've started trying to factor it into my mental role-play when it comes to bartering, buying food, or negotiating rent. I'm grateful for explanations like that and look forward to more as a way to avoid misunderstandings stemming from culture differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment