Monday, April 4, 2011

Journal 26 - Group Dynamics

This should be an interesting entry, but I wanted to explore the importance of and aspects of our group dynamics.

In my field study group, there are only three girls. Deidre is a Public Health Major from Idaho with a boyfriend named Cory and a friendly personality. Corrine is an New York City RM from--somewhere back east?? I don't know why I can't remember!. She's easy to talk to because she's open-minded, an anthro major, and multi-talented. I think as a group we could easily fill two or three days with running conversation. We have different backgrounds and ways of dealing with situations and challenges, that I think effect how well we relate and sometimes requires us to explain ourselves more indepth before we can understand each other's choice, opinion or behavior. We weigh (I'd bet) 350lbs together tops and we look like just three young, white women headed into rural Ghana to learn more about life. I really like all of the things I just described.

I wonder what our strengths are, what group dynamics we'll have when we are no longer classmates and instead we become teammates. What are some values I should have considered at the beginning of this semester that I think would have helped forge relationships of trust?

Building trust in a relationship. To me that means consistency (always do what you'll say you'll do) and acceptance (openness to another person's contribution, input and values). I think this semester hasn't been the best as far as consistency goes, and I wonder how acceptance (which I think has gone great here) will go in the field when we are under greater stresses and facing more unknowns. I don't think anyone in the group is going to do things for selfish or incorrect motives--I trust the ISP's decisions and my own evaluation of character--and I think that when it comes down to it, when we need to make decisions as a group, we'll learn how to. I think it's important to remember what my group members tell me, and it's going to be important to give each person an opportunity to answer a question (I think we do that well already, and have noticed that it's been a key part of group dynamics here) or offer input.

I think while I'm responsible for my own success and experience, we'll see a lot more success and satisfaction with this experience if as a group we are a more inter-dependent and supportive unit in Wiamoase. It's my new goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment