Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Journal 16 - Salvation Army Methods

I wanted to explore the things I will need to know about Salvation Army approaches to development efforts. Some of these things I can learn before I enter the field and that would probably be helpful to my field work.

How did Salvation Army become involved in this area of Ghana? How do they determine a site and how do they decide how to contribute? I know that the Salvation Army church is present in Wiamoase, how does that play a part in the clinic's presence? Did it come before or after the congregation was established? What was involved in the Salvation Army's process of building and establishing a health clinic, is it a prescribed method used everywhere or does it differ from location to location? What kind of involvement does the Salvation Army have now in the Clinic, is it continually involved in sustaining the clinic or is its presence completely gone or somewhere in between? If it's still involved, in what ways? Why? How does it determine where it will remain involved and where the clinic can sustain itself? How much staff is involved with the clinic? How long have they been involved? How much training have they received and from where?

I could keep going. I would love to talk to someone who has answers to some of these questions, I would love to understand the specific involvement that Salvation Army has with this clinic, as well as understand how they are involved in other efforts and in what way. I think this will be an important part of my project, and think it's time to talk to people that have worked with the clinic before or perhaps even contact a salvation army worker in Utah and get some answers that way. Both Dave and Brother Jackson asked questions about how Salvation Army approaches developmental efforts (in theory) and I think its time I found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment